Thursday 20 October 2022

Vibrant Blue

Today I had a cultural experience. 

In the paint shop a particular type of acrylic paint was reduced in price to 2 tubs for £10. 

I selected a rather pleasant green and a vibrant blue.

At the till the cashier said, “One of these has been further reduced, its £3.50.”

It did indeed have a sticker announcing this information although I’d ignored it in my excitement to get the deal of two tubs of paint for £10. 

I asked how much are these tubs of paint individually? 
The cashier said they are £7 each. 

I did the maths out loud:
Two tubs for £5 each is £10 for two. 
One tub at £7 plus one at £3.50 is £10.50.

I said: “So it has been reduced twice and it is still going to end up costing me more than it would to begin with?” 

The cashier nodded and grimaced. 

I said “It sounds like a Tory party policy to me.” 

Wherein lies todays cultural experience. 

This marks the day upon which Liz Truss of the nasty Tory party resigned from her position as prime minister of Britain.

The cashier laughed. 

I returned to the shelf to see if there were any other of that particular colour which did not have ‘reduced to £3.50’ stickers on. They all did. 

Unfortunately the system had been vigourously catalogued and the till would not allow the cashier to knock off that extra 50p. I would have to change to a different colour to get that.

I told him for the sake of 50p it was worth putting a smile on his face in these times of doom and gloom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment